Local News

We’ve stopped construction of Mugabe mausoleum: Mutodi

DEPUTY Minister of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services, Energy Mutodi, has advised that government has stop the construction of a mausoleum for former President Robert Mugabe because the project no longer makes sense now that he was buried at his rural Zvimba homestead.

“The mausoleum was earmarked for him at the request of the family and they had change of mind after construction had already started so obvious construction will stop,” Mutodi said.

“There is no reason why it has to be continue to be constructed government will not waste taxpayer’s money to construct something that will not be used any time soon. Definitely is not going to kick off its going to be stopped.”

All trucks and other construction vehicles as well as manpower that had been roped in at the National Heroes’ Acre had been moved from the site by Monday.

Mutodi could however not clarify on whether the contractors would be paid their full value now that the project has been abandoned.

Although government could not provide the figures of the cost of the project, media reports put it at US$1 million.

The idea of a mausoleum for the late liberation war icon was reached at after the Government and the Mugabe family as well as traditional leaders from Zvimba agreed on having Mugabe buried at the shrine.

However, Mugabe’s widow Grace later on ordered that he be buried at the rural Zvimba home, a decision government said would respect.

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker